Thursday 3 May 2012

OPU Day 14

16th April 2012

Today is my scheduled Oocyte Pick-up date(OPU). For those of you whom is totally blank about what i am talking about, here are some info abt this procedure.

Egg (oocyte) Retrieval involves aspiration of the ovarian follicles under anesthesia in the operating theatre .This is done by the transvaginal ultrasound technique. The anaesthetic for the ultrasound procedure is very light. For this procedure a probe is inserted into the vagina and this projects a picture onto a monitor which enables the doctor to direct a needle into each follicle to retrieve the eggs. The fluid filled follicles are aspirated under slight suction into a test tube which is passed on the the embryologist. The scientist or embryologist locates the eggs, places them into culture media and then into the incubator.

 
I was supposed to fast the night before the procedure, shower with no soap, no nail polish, no perfume o make-up. We arrived abt 10a.m and registered under Sunfert and waited to be called into the day care room.Waited almost an hour, by this time i was already dead hungry and bloated. 


When the nurse called my name to change into the OT gown, i was already havin butterflies in my tummy... :(.. Its scary. Hubby had to produce his sample meanwhile i was wheeled into d OT. Everything happened super fast. I was positioned on the miserable couch, i hate to hang my legs like dat cz its extremely uncomfortable... and some gadgets to monitor my BP and pulse were fixed. And then comes the oxygen mask.. I was never admitted to hospital o undergone any surgery prior to this xcpt fr the OPU procedure ;. So obviously it felt weird. A nurse then came in to put the cannula into my veins wic she cud harly find cz i drew sum mehendi designs d day b4... how stupid i was... bt sumhw she found it.... she then injected the pain killer wic made me dizzy. I felt the whole room was kinda shaking n then they injected the sedative to make me sleep..

The the rest was history, i woke up in the day care room about 2 hours later after the procedure. I did not remember sleepin that long when i did it for the first time. When i woke up, it was d typical q runnin in my head " Where am i" and "Why am i here" b4 i gained my conscience that it was after the OPU. Soon aft i woke up, d nurse visited me and asked if i still felt dizzy o painful... after she confirmed i was alright, she removed d cannula and asked me to change my cloths and wait outside the room while she get me a cup of milo n biscuit.... 



Came out n sat on the couch while msgn hubby.. was already cramping when i was walking out of d room... :(... So painful.. A while later d nurse called in to d consultation corner to brief abt the embryo transfr. They picked-up 21 Oocyte... Wow!!! Felt truly like a Hen now.. haha...D nurse said dat i actually screamed in pain while sedated during d procedure n dat is why thy gave me an extra cc of med so dat i wud shut my mouth up.. haha.. I had a gud sleep tho.


 I was scheduled to come in for Embryo Transfer (ET)  on the 19th April 2012 if everything goes well.I need not fast like today... but then again d, no soap, make up, nail polish o perfume.. Also, today d eggs are supposed to be fertilized as well.... So lets hope they do their job as expected..

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. wht a procedure.. i never knew its tht complicated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha mish... n im not xgrtng.... well, it paid off after all.. xoxo

      Delete